We all know how many calories can be consumed on a typical Christmas Day and if you don’t we will tell you. On average it is thought that an adult will consume 6,000 calories – 3 times the National Guidelines for women.
So what can you do to make it easier on the waistband this year?
Here are our 5 top tips for managing Christmas the FoodFit way.
- Don’t skip breakfast – This is the most important meal of the day anyway and it matters even more so today. Having something sustainable in the morning will prevent you from bingeing on unhealthy treats that are found all around such as mince pies, chocolates and stollen. A good tip would be to make it the night before or have it ready so it makes preparation easier.
- Avoid alcohol until at least lunchtime – We all love a Bucks Fizz and thats what makes it Christmas, right? But by consuming alcohol first thing in the morning not only adds to your calorie intake it also goes into your bloodstream quicker and reduces your will power. So resisting those treats becomes even more difficult.
- Reduce your plate size – It may be that the fancy crockery that comes out at this time of year but if you are looking to eat healthier this Christmas, opt for a smaller plate. Also, when filling the plate, put on the meat and vegetables first. This leaves less room for the naughty treats such as the pigs in blankets and stuffing.
- Prepare healthy snacks and desserts – If you have healthy things to nibble on it will be less tempting to reach for the chocolates. Try our Christmas Pudding Bites for a luxury Christmas treat, without the guilt. Also, try swapping your typical cream or ice cream for yogurt or creme fraiche.
- Mindful eating – If you want something tasty and luxurious – have it. But have a smaller portion and think about each mouthful and really enjoy it. ‘Savour the flavour’ as Nicola says!
Have a wonderful Christmas and can’t wait to see you all in the New Year!
Lillie & Nicola x